New “Director Identification Numbers” for all company directors from November 2021
Are you a director of a company or planning on becoming one? From November 2021, you will need to apply for a director ID from the Australian Business Registry Services (ABRS).
Company directors need to verify their identity as part of a new director identification number (director ID) requirement.
A director ID is a unique identifier that a director will apply for once and keep forever – which will help prevent the use of false or fraudulent director identities.
All directors of a company, registered Australian body, a registered foreign company, or Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander corporation will need a director ID.
By implementing Director Identification Numbers, regulators and advisors are able to obtain a holistic picture of a director’s corporate history, ascertaining every company of which that director has been apart. Further, it will give a clearer view of whether companies have participated in related party transactions, and whether directors have had conflicts of interest.
What is a director ID?
A director ID is a unique 15-digit identifier issued by the ABRS to a director or someone who intends to become one. You are required to verify your identity before the ABRS will issue you with a director ID.
A director ID confirms a director’s identity and ensures that directors’ relationships to the companies are traceable. It helps to prevent the use of false or fraudulent director identities and direct involvement in unlawful activity.
Once you have a director ID, you will keep it forever. This applies even if you:
- Stop being a director
- Become a director of another company
- Change your name
- Move overseas or interstate
When do I need to apply?
- Existing directors have until 30 November 2022 to apply.
- New directors appointed between 1 November 2021 and 4 April 2022 must apply within 28 days of their appointment.
- From 5 April 2022, intending directors must apply before being appointed.
How do individuals apply online for a Director ID?
- Go to the ABRS website to access the ABRS Director ID service and learn about the Director ID requirements
- Verify your identity using your myGovID credentials or create a myGovID using your smartphone and Australian identity documents. For more information visit How to set up myGovID.
- Conduct a proof of record ownership by answering two questions about the individual’s ATO record. See below for further information.
- Complete a Director ID application on the ABRS platform to receive the Director ID instantly.
For further assistance, please contact the MBC Office on 6362 0988.